Tuesday, April 8

Adversity

Facebook led me to a friend with whom I had lost touch. Come to find out she's been dealing with huge stuff over there in her world. In January she gave birth to a precious son with down syndrome, her second child. In reading her blog I've been awakened to her point of view and I just can't let go of it. She's so strong and courageous. I admire Jennie very much.

This morning, I dipped into Starbucks for an extra special grande iced mocha. I browsed the discount section then something led me over to the bulletin board. There I read about a sweet employee who I may or may not know, but she recently was diagnosed with a brain tumor and of course she has no medical insurance. She's a Starbuck's employee.

I told Don I was blown away by the news of the Texas polygamist story in recent news and he said, "Why? That's what the whole David Koresh thing was about, too, years ago." Oh, yeah, selective memory on my part.

Here's some good news. RJ likes me to watch Sesame Street with her in the mornings and today we learned all about the violin. When I read the quote, "What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?" My response is to play the fiddle.
Every day we take baby steps and get ever closer to blossoming into our fullest potential.

Growth through adversity. That's the theme for today.

3 comments:

Sgulde said...

ugh... adversity kind of brings me down and makes me sad. Yes, yes, it makes me thankful too, but it also just makes me sad.

Cheryl said...

Though its hard to remember sometimes, the most comforting thing to me at least is that we will never be given something that is beyond our abilities. If something befalls us it is because we can handle it and that someone up there knows it is important for us to find that inner strength and make it through.

On another note, hope you enjoyed the lunch yesterday! I'm sorry I didn't see you!

Kristen said...

Cheryl, Sorry I missed you, too. We had a fabulous time at the lunch and my business logo, Faux-Toes looked smokin' hot!! I'm so excited about working with the Girl Scouts. That video about the honorees totally made me want to give up my day job and just volunteer all the dang-time. ;-)