Thursday, July 28

PAIN -- Purposeful Anticipated Intermittent Natural/Normal

fire up, buttercup

On Tuesday the 26th, we went to our second childbirth class at MGH. They sure did their best to scare us into buying into the PAIN of labor and delivery. There was a lot of nervous laughter filling the room and when they showed us this natural birth video, there wasn't a comfortable face in the whole room. We got to sample the discomfort when the leader asked the women to grab some ice cubes and hold them in the palm of our hands tightly as "the contraction" wore on. Our partners tried various methods to comfort us. I just don't know if anything is going to work. I'd like to choose the option where I'm completely comatose and just wake up to a beautiful baby girl with all her fingers and toes. "Y'all go on ahead, I'll catch up later."

The other thought in the back of my head is this: maybe, just MAYBE, I'm in the small percentage of women who never feel labor and then look down only to say, "Oops, Rosa Jane, when did you get here?"

The other possibility of course is that we go into labor during our what would be a normal 31+ hour car ride to Austin. On all the web sites, they recommend pregnant women stop every hour to walk around... Good Lord... I just don't think I could handle making the journey twice as long for everyone! It seems ridiculous. But oh, what a story to tell! That is, it would be funny as long as she wasn't born in Arkansas. I think I'd have to have Don drive like hell to get us to God's country in just the nick of time. Texarkana, the Texas side, would do just fine. ;-)

We gave the moving company the date of Aug. 24 to come get our stuff. It's been a stressful couple of days as we tried to wrap our heads around everything that that means. Especially when we don't have an address at the other end, but we spent yesterday purging and I think maybe everything is going to be okay after all.

Deep Inhale, think "I AM..." exhale "...relaxed."
Deep inhale, think "I AM..." exhale "...strong."
Deep inhale, think "I CAN..." exhale "...do this."


Which is worse? The pain of childbirth or a 60 hour drive to Texas during the heat of summer?

Or should I say, which would YOU rather?? The pain of childbirth or a 60 hour drive to Texas during the heat of summer?

Too bad I'll have to suffer both. Woe is me!

1 comment:

Sgulde said...

I would totally pick childbirth. I tell ya... I can't say enough about the epidural. Without the epidural=stressful day... With the epidural=happy fun day.

Everybody's labor is different, so I can only speak from my own experience. And all I can say is this...it was shorter than 60 hours, it wasn't hot and it wasn't too painful. It was kind of like bad cramps...no big deal. ;) And at the end of cramps you don't get a baby... ! So it's all worth it in the end. ;)

My vote is this. Fly to Austin...let the others do the driving and get an epidural. ;)