Thursday, December 8

Burr! Baby, It's Cold Outside!

Yesterday turned freezing in Austin. I wasn't too worried and headed out the door with my little baby girl. We had to get to the post office and later headed to Old Navy for some cheap fleece for somebody special. Burr Rabbit! Was it ever cold out! While we were shopping, the windows and mirrors on our car froze and I thought, "oh, boy, are we in trouble!" People here don't know how to drive on ice, nor is the city prepared with loads of trucks to drop salt or sand. What's more, my tires were reading low pressure. Thankfully I made it to the Jiffy Lube to get everything checked out and we arrived safely at home. Since then, we've been homebound with no internet or phone service -- I ain't mentionin' no names--Time Warner-- until just now. Would there be a better time to take more pictures? I think not...



I have to admit after living in Boston for so long, I kinda liked feeling the chilly air and wearing my warmest downcoat. Don't tell donr the reindeer. I think I mostly just liked the weather because I know that come the weekend, the skies will be blue and the highs will be in the 60s again. This is definitely the good life.

The other morning I awoke before Rosa Jane (a rarity). Before I slipped downstairs to make coffee, I poked my head into her room. There she was sleeping soundly and I was genuinely struck and taken aback by her beauty. There is something really special about watching your peacefully sleeping baby. It seems like there should be a word for it, but nothing comes to mind.


I listened to some of my favorite Christmas music and decorated our tree earlier this week. I had so much fun unwrapping the ornaments and recalling all the sweet stories that go with them -- like the frog ornament from Sally's mom, Linda. She said "You have to kiss a lot of frogs before you find the right one..." I had just met Don when she gave that to me. I love this time of year. I've been trying to stay away from the malls, watching too much TV, and other commercial areas because they just ruin it. They make you think if you don't spend money, your holidays will never be special. The truth is that it is all about family and spending time with the ones you love... even if it's just sending a card to let the ones you can't be with know that you love them. I hope we can all keep this perspective and remember the REAL reason for the season.

No comments: