Tuesday, December 12

First Craft


For those of you who know me well, I've been hankering for some good-n-messy art project for over a year now. Every day I ask myself, "is RJ old enough to enjoy some paper mache today?" I know the answer is always "NO! not today", but I just want to be ready for when the time has come.

Santa was visiting the Bee Cave Civic Hall yesterday so I dressed RJ up in her fanciest leopard print skirt. I didn't count on having to be in the picture with her. Following the brief photo session we went to the library and made our first craft. The girl scouts painted RJ's hand and we pressed it on a burlap sack hanging thingamabob. It was messy -- real messy -- but it all came out in the wash.

Nevertheless, I won't be trying any more crafts for a couple of months, or perhaps if she's stripped down to her diaper and there is another adult close by it would be okay.

Never mind that while I'm typing all of this, she digs through my pen jar on my desk and BINGO! She finds the one leaky pink pen. The spilled ink covers her hands, belly and feet. Pen caps on the markers no longer stand in her way.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we are in the dawn of the new era -- that of the terrifying toddler with marker in hand! Yikes! My, my this day has come earlier than expected.

Top of the agenda today: Find all markers and put them in a safety deposit box down at the bank. Only then will our walls and furniture truly be safe, I hope!

No comments: