Monday, October 30

So That's How The Story Ends...

IMG_6171
A lot has happened in the last four days, but still I feel obligated to backtrack to that fateful day at Chicago O'Hare on Thursday, the 26th so please, if you don't mind too much, humor me.

As you know we were visiting Sally & Fam and getting up and out of the house by or before 10 am is no picnic. Somehow, with teamwork, we did it. Misty rain sprinkles us as we load up and unload the car. We get to the airport and I tell Sally, sorry, but I will not be crying today. I have too much on my mind as I mentally prepare for getting the car seat, my two carry-ons, the stroller and my suitcase all in manageable carrying position. Sally is taking care of Rosa Jane and putting her in her stroller and I'm getting sad, but when I glance back at the car and see Francis sitting there with her palm on the window looking at me, I just lose it. Oh, it is tragic and heartbreaking to say goodbye to my sal pal and to her precious offspring.

Alas, we're inside security and we realize our flight to Austin is delayed an hour and then altogether cancelled. To make a long story short, we ended up catching a night flight to thunderstorm-struck Houston and my parents saved the day by picking us up.

Here's what's good about being with your best friend: you realize you do the same things without even knowing it and you get to give and trade advice and if it works for one, why the hell wouldn't it work for the other? Well, let's just say Sally's rule of carry just two diapers and just enough wipes shouldn't be carried over to travel day. We ended up spending $12 at the airport for the necessities of 8 Pampers and Wet Ones. Lesson learned.

Twenty-four hours later we drove into Austin travel-weary and with a puke-encrusted baby.

As awful as all of this sounds, it wasn't really that bad. Especially when I got to hold sweet sleeping Rosa Jane in my arms for the duration of the flight. It's a feeling I hope I never forget.

3 comments:

Sgulde said...

Man, I just love you and I miss you more than words can describe. Paige Anne is alive and kickin'... see you in the springtime.

Kristen said...

Sally, it's PAGEANNE. There's no I in team. ;-)

I love you. I'm holding my breath until the spring. so do what you can as soon as you can, and I think you should bring the kids and matt and stay for a long time... even if matty has to go back...

katherine petillo said...

this made me laugh. i was wondering how your plane ride went. it reminded me of our trip back from chicago. after walking through the security checkpoint with lola i realized she had a horrible poopy pants that had squished out of her diaper all over her outfit and my shirt. always travel with an extra outfit and extra diapers;) glad you made it back. we'll see you in two weeks.