Sunday, February 12

800 Miles Later . . . There's A Reason They Call It "Texarkana"

Ah, the things we will do for love and to show support for the ones we love dearly. After a particularly trying Thursday morning, I got the sad, sad news that Heather Jane's stepfather had passed away in New Boston, Texas, after suffering from a heart attack two weeks prior. All of 20D calls Banky's mom, "MamaJane", so there was just no way I could not NOT be there representin'. Robyna and I plotted all afternoon how we could make the trip (some 6.5 hours) together and also manage to pick up R's dear friend who happens to be arriving from the U.K on Friday night. Whew! It was so much to think about and hard on both our souls. At the 11th hour, Robyna knew she couldn't do it and so RJ and I set off Thursday night to meet my parents in Richland just before midnight. The next day we drove through driving rain and "harsh Texas weather" to make it to the funeral with 20 minutes to spare. It was so good to hug MamaJane's neck and to finally introduce her to little Rosa Jane. MJ was beaming as she introduced all as "This is the one named after Heather." And we waited around for Nana to show up about whom I feel she's my own grandmother since both of mine have passed long ago. Oh, how I love MamaJane and Nana! It's like three degrees of separation. Banky was super close to her mother and to her mother's mother. They were like the Three Stooges. To love one is to love them all dearly and passionately. I pray for their strength to get through their losses.

With Mary coming in from California next week for a whole month, we are hoping we'll be able to have some girl time with MamaJane while in the big D. I just can't imagine her grief, yet we are all comforted by the thought that Heather and Benny are eating fried chicken and rejoicing on the other side.

I love my parents so much. They always give me so much whenever I have asked any thing of them. Even though Mom wasn't feeling well and had a horrible cough, she didn't say "no." She thinks she didn't do much, but the truth is that I wouldn't have been able to get to Texarkana without her... and she without Dad. So to them I say "Thank You" from the bottom of my heart. Thanks also to my dear, sweet husband for his support and love and encouragement and understanding why I just had to make the trip. He made our homecoming extra sweet with homemade seafood gumbo and flourless chocolate cake. I will pretend it was for me and RJ and not just for our lovely guest, Ruthie. With twelve hours of sleep under my belt, I feel I am ready to conquer anything this next week and beyond have to offer . . . (It's a good thing, too, since this coming weekend FauxToes is back in the wedding business!)

No comments: