Wednesday, February 13

Like Mother Like Daughter


spikeandgang
Originally uploaded by ..Kristen...
Well the years start coming and they don't stop coming,
Fed to the rules and I hit the ground running
Didn't make sense not to live for fun
Your brain gets smart but your head gets dumb
So much to do so much to see
So what's wrong with taking the back streets
You'll never know if you don't go
You'll never shine if you don't glow
- Smash Mouth


My two yr old has become fascinated with the big green ogre, Shrek. She loves the "All Star" theme song sung by Smashmouth. A couple of times we have been out and about and a serendipitous moment occurs -- the song blares in the background. RJ will say, "SHREK!!" When I listen intently, I concurr she is right.

I have always loved this song, too. It is such a positive song that it inspires me to "get my game on, go play!"

There are so many strong memories attached to this song, too. It reminds me of Nashville and laughing with Sally. It reminds me of Jackson Design and their inspired ad campaign that led to Spike and the gang. And my debut as a Cover girl, Rachel.

I think I love listening to what has become the shrek song as much as Rosa Jane does. She's started to sing along even when it is not playing.

The power of music to transport to another time and place is magical. I am happy to go along for the ride to my shining glory days and 15 minutes of fame.

5 comments:

Fulmer Fam said...

Cover Girl? Details! Your thoughts are so thoughtful, makes me wanna be thoughtful too :)

donr said...

I used to go to some of the same software industry tradeshows as Kristen when we were first dating. It was really cool to watch all of the software developers at these shows recognize "Rachel" or "Spike" from the ads and get all starstruck. She really was a celebrity...

Sgulde said...

This make me laugh and smile real big. Man, that seems like another lifetime. If you remember correctly, this was the beginning of my photography career too... remember the paparazzi shot that we did in front of that movie theatre turned bookstore? Hilarious. It turned out to be a full page back cover ad if I recall. ;) I believe the name Rachel came from Karinne's daughter.

Kristen said...

that definitely was the start of your photo career! Published and everything!! Never forget that creative spirit that lies within you!

Fulmer Fam said...

I am confused!