Wednesday, February 27

Schooled in the Boot Store

Two weekends ago Diana from Seattle came to the Ranch to play and work. She taught me so much and helped me to see more clearly. As a treat to her and all our guests, we like to take them down to South Congress or SoCo as people in the Know call it to browse a little piece of Heaven on earth in a store called Allen's Boots. You've never seen so many gorgeous boots in your whole entire life. Sometimes a pair will grab hold of you and will refuse to let go.

Diana was supposed to be the one to buy boots. I didn't go in thinking I needed boots, but after being at a wedding over the weekend where these classic Texas women wore boots dressed up, I will acknowledge there was a slight need in my life for black boots. I found these fun boots that looked like they had little flowers on them, but it was really the design of the lizard skin. Art is life.

I was getting ready to put them back because there were lots of reasons in my mind NOT to get them. One, there are other things I need like a new computer and always another camera lens, not to mention our older daughter's college education to pay off. I have my priorities straight. Two, the color was something I thought I'd never in a million years own: a two-toned boot, nevermind that it was double-whammy white! But Don came over and told me I had to have them. That I'd come back next time and they'd be gone and they are really perfect for me.



That's when it was time to look around the store at my accomplices (Don, Rosa Jane and Diana) and count on my hand all the times I thought I'd never do/be a part of something and life wonderful life turned out blissfully to the contrary:

1. I never thought I'd married an older man, just ask Seebug how much Hell I gave her for marrying a cute boy a mere 8 years older.

2. I never thought we'd get pregnant. Well, after months that added up to years and years of trying, I never thought we'd get pregnant. Maybe that's why when we did finally affirm (to my credit, I did take two pregnancies test upon suspect, but both came up negative) we were pregnant we were already 20 weeks along. Bliss that we were halfway done and we didn't even know it! Never mind the fear we live in NOW, knowing that we could get pregnant! Ha! My, my how quickly the tables turn!

3. I never thought my friend Diana from Boston who moved to Seattle would make it down to visit us. Sometimes as much as you love a friend, you can't help but think that wish of coming to visit is nothing more in reality than a pipe dream.



Three for three. I think it's time to recalibrate. So I listened to Don and I am grateful for the extra push. I know boots don't make the girl and I know true happiness lies within, but damn, it sure it nice to don some sweet-looking boots that make me giddy happy and will for years to come, even if they are two-toned white. Maybe that's the funniest part of all.

5 comments:

Sgulde said...

I just laughed out loud at the "fear of getting pregnant" comment. Boy, oh boy... I am living that. Somehow #3 isn't as simple. Do you have another, do you thank your lucky stars for 2 healthy ones? Hmmm...

Sgulde said...

OH...and beautiful boots by the way. This coming from a woman who wore boots under her Grammy dress. :) You can't take the girl out of Oklahoma, but you can't take the Okie out of the girl! :)

Sgulde said...

I mean, you CAN take the girl out of Oklahoma...etc. You know what I meant. ;)

Cheryl said...

I never knew the little peanut was a worked for gift! It makes me that much happier that you get to mommy such a precious photogenic little girl.

Fulmer Fam said...

Yep, you better be in fear because even though we love our precious "deployment baby" it was a long 9 months of getting use to the idea, especially after working for Thomas and an adoption. Needless to say we have taken care of the situation on all fronts ;P