Tuesday, January 10

The Call of the Open Road


I know you're all dying to know what happened to us yesterday. Well, here is what we did: We (Robyna, Rosa Jane and I) buckled our seat belts and headed west. We wanted to hijack the Wrangler, but we settled for the Liberty's sunroof. Our first stop was in the home town of Lyndon B. Johnson at the restaurant that claimed to have "The World's Best Chicken Fried Steak." The crust was thick, pepper-y and flaky yet it didn't completely cover the taste of the steak. Our vote: DE-LISH! We split the cream-covered steak, black-eyed peas, a baked potato and onion rings. So good.

Before we left the restaurant one of my friendly neighbors from the Ranch walks in with her girlfriends. I love running into familiar faces and it was fun to see her 60 miles away from home. When RJ was just days old, I ran into Nina the first time watching her grandchild playing in the park. Her grandchild and his new buddy ended up coming into our yard to play fetch with our dogs. His buddy's grandfather didn't speak much English (I think he was Italian), but Purdy's playful bounding across the yard after the super-bouncy ball transcended the language barrier and we were all laughing together. That was a really great day. I hadn't seen any of them since.

After lunch we sped through beautiful hill country on our way to Fredericksburg. I'd never been there and wanted to see what it was all about. Our first stop there was into a little boutique where I made Robyn try on Million Dollar Jeans that made her butt disappear. As she put it, she didn't think any boys would want to follow her home. We meandered through the town square and had fun looking in all the shops. It's definitely a place where we want to go back. Rosa Jane was a great sport, too. But by the time we got back to our neck of the woods and through the grocery store at record pace, she was furious, mad and HUNGRY. Woo-WEE! I hope I never have to see that again! Downright scary! By the time I got her out of her car seat and upstairs to our favorite dining chair, she still wanted to have some words (at the top of her lungs) with me. Bad, mom.

Meanwhile, Robyn made a delicious spinach lasagna and it was the perfect ending to "another day in paradise."

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Full disclosure: This picture was NOT taken at the scene of the crime yesterday... I admit it appears that way, but even I am NOT that bad of a mother! ;-)

Unknown said...

Girl, you couldn't be a bad mother even if you tried. :) I think if a baby doesn't have a temper tantrum or two growing up, then that's just not right. I miss you bunches and bunches!! I'm at NESOP and I was showing Z pics of RJ you took and we just laughed and smiled. All my love...K-Dogg!