Monday, August 7

The Bloom that Changed Everything

Today it finally rained briefly on Rudder. There had been tstorms in the area for the last couple of days, but never did quite make it to Rudder. I've been praying for rain -- rain to wash away worries and cares and parched plants. If things didn't change, I was going to put together an imix of "rain" songs, like Patty Griffin's RAIN, and Counting Crows Rain King, etc. I didn't have to go that far today.

When we first moved to Rudder, we bought several lantana plants and potted them. We're learning that they don't really like pots, but we're stubborn to change our plans. Two of the three got scorched on the front porch. Rescue Robyn on a mission trimmed them down to nubs to help them grow back. One made it, the other didn't. Today, on the plant that bounced back, I found its first bloom of yellow flowers. I couldn't wait to share the news with Robyn when she got home.

one bloom!
Before I could even tell her, she said, "things changed today." And boy did they. She's going back to DC next week and I'm really happy for her, but sad and scared for me and the little peanut. I know things will be great for her -- she'll get to finish her projects and it will be great for all of us, too. She sold her bed and is selling her car. I know those things are little, but somehow they strike a permanent chord -- like she's not coming back.

Without knowing her plans, I took my own babysteps today and joined the community club... now I can be a part of playgroups and meet other newcomers to the area.

So life is getting ever brighter and ever better... even if it is scary and sad at first. We're really going to miss having her around, especially little Rosa Jane. Auntie Robyna is the best. All the more reason to get out the video camera for these last few days with her.

Who's gonna make my margaritas now???

2 comments:

Drew, Amber and Megan said...

Hope your clubbin' goes well, I still haven't joined the one here. I did just get a call a couple of days ago letting me know I was chosen to be a team soccer mom! Yikes, and I drive an SUV! Too funny

Kristen said...

I bet you're going to be the best soccer mom on the block, amber! megan is the cutest little girl!!